Saturday 17 December 2011

Cumbernauld City Championship Report

Today Neil, Julia and I competed in the City Championships in Cumbernauld. It was my first time at the Cumbernauld Pokemon League, but I had met Gordon, the organizer previously when he and a couple of other league members visited our League. It was incredible to see so many players trading, preparing, and practicing for a competition. I also spoke with Gordon about organizing pre-release events and tournaments in Edinburgh, which I'm sure you'll agree is very exciting.

I would give a round-by-round recap of my personal experience of the tournament, but I suspect it would be tedious. I had a bunch of tense games, losing in the first round but eventually winning all my remaining games in the tournament. Neil was dealing with a largely new deck and had a few losses, but I was lucky enough to watch his final match against David and his Chandelure deck, and it was pretty gripping stuff. Unfortunately I never got to witness any of Julia's matches, though I know she had a win or two as well by the end. Overall, Edinburgh players made a fantastic showing!

Tomorrow is our last League Session of the year - I hope to see you all there!

2 comments:

  1. Hi John, I tried to find you on facebook but realised I couldn't remember your surname. Just wanted to say congrats again on your victory yesterday, and thanks for coming along!
    I mentioned this to Gordon, but if you get any tournaments set up for Edinburgh league in the new year and you'd like any help I'd be happy to come along and be a judge or just help out in any way.
    It was really nice to meet you and hopefully we'll see you back at Cumbernauld again soon,
    - Lauren (the judge at Cumbernauld Cities)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren!

    I'll be sure to add you on Facebook immediately! Thanks very much to you and everyone else involved in the Cumbernauld League - you were all very friendly and welcoming, and everyone from Edinburgh had an excellent time. Thanks for the congratulations, though I suspect luck was a bigger-than-usual factor in my success.

    I would love to take advantage of the expertise both you and Gordon have in running tournaments and pre-release events, so will be speaking with the people that run our location after the holidays in order to get some concrete assurances about what the venue is comfortable with, etc. One way or another I'm sure we can get something together!

    Thanks for your hard work at the tournament, and I hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete